The Fiji Village Project (FVP) is a not-for-profit international humanitarian project, initiated by medical students, based on models from the World Health Organisation (WHO), International Federation of Medical Students Associations and Fiji School of Medicine Public Health Curriculum. The annual project is executed by medical, dental, nursing and public health students from Australia, Fiji and New Zealand. The project aims to promote health in the South Pacific region and provides the opportunity of a cultural exchange between our Pacific neighbouring countries whilst working towards a common goal.
FVP is an annual two-week project, that usually runs in January, organised by the Australian, New Zealand and Fijian FVP coordinators. Each year, a remote Fijian village is selected according to a feasibility study conducted by the Fijian coordinator; the criteria is that the village is not connected to water mains and does not have a sustainable, clean, drinking water source. Below you will find a breakdown of the mission of FVP and how this is achieved with each annual project.
Due to the unprecedented COVID-19 pandemic, the coordinating team of the Fiji Village Project had to postpone the January 2021 and January 2022 project. Because of continuing international travel restrictions, it is not possible to organise a project involving Australian and New Zealand students at this time, and the feasibility of a January 2023 project will be determined in June/July 2022.
To keep up to date with FVP and what we are doing please follow our social media and check out our website.
We will update everyone on a 2023 project as soon as we know.
Fiona & Katie
Events in 2022
Because of continuing international travel restrictions, it is not possible to organise a project involving Australian and New Zealand students at this time. Our usual information evening and application process have been postponed until we determine the feasibility of a 2023 trip in June/ July 2022.
Meet the Team
Fiona Lewis and Katie Dahl
- Point of contact and coordinator for all Australian participants regarding the international trip.
- Oversees the application process (open to all Australian medical, nursing, dental and public health students).
- Works closely with the International Coordinators from Fiji and New-Zealand to organise and execute the international trip, the projects mission, and aims.
- Promotes and creates awareness about the Fiji Village Project.
- Liaises with ANUMSS.
- Manages the FVP finances.
2021/22 Coordinators - this could be you!
- Interested in FVP and want to help ensure the longevity of the project? Contact us for further information about becoming a coordinator!