A range of support services are available to all ANU Medical Students.
Urgent Support Services
- In an emergency, call 000 immediately.
- If you need urgent crisis support, call Lifeline on 13 11 14.
- Medical students can access free, confidential telehealth mental health services by calling DRS4DRS on 1300 374 377.
- Both the ANU Medical School and ANU Counselling maintain a list of support services that you can access at the links below.
Find a GP
If you have moved to Canberra to start medical school, it can be challenging to find a new GP! The GPs on this map have been recommended by other medical students. Most GPs bulk bill medical students, but it is important to check when booking your appointment.
Equity Support Services
Information and Support
- ANU Access and Inclusion – Support for ANU students with disabilities or health conditions that affect their learning.
- PARSA Students with Disabilities Guide – Support services for ANU students with disabilities
- Meridian ACT – LGBTQIA+ Inclusive Health, Well Being and Support (Formerly AIDS Action Council)
- A Gender Agenda – Support for Intersex, Trans and Gender Diverse communities of Canberra and surrounding region
- Rainbow Cultures – Online directory of groups and services for CALD LGBTQIA+ community in NSW and Australia
- LGBTIQ+ Health Australia – Provides health-related programs, services and research focused on LGBTIQ+ people and communities
- ACON – Health promotion organisation based in NSW specialising in HIV support and prevention and includes broader LGBTIQA+ support services
- QLife – Counselling and referral service for LGBTIQ+ people
- TransHub – Information & Resources for Trans and Gender Diverse People
- Minus18 – Provides mental health, peer mentoring and events to support same-sex attracted and gender-diverse young people from all over Australia.
- Out for Australia – Seeks to support and mentor aspiring LGBTI professionals as they navigate their way through the early stages of their career.
- Pinnacle Foundation – Provides scholarships to LGBTI youth who are marginalised or disadvantaged.
- Intersex Human Rights Australia Peer and Family Support – National body by and for people with intersex variations
- ReachOut.com – Information and Support Pathways for Young People and Parents
- Multicultural Hub Canberra – Provides services and programs for migrants, refugees and asylum seekers including youth services, employment, women’s services, counselling and more
- MARSS Australia – Supports migrant and refugee settlement in the ACT region
- ANU Queer* Department Social/Alumni Facebook Group
- ANU BIPOC Department Facebook Group
- Australian Medical Students Association Queer Network (QAMSA) Facebook Group
- Bit Bent: LGTBIQ+ social group
- Canberra QWire LGBTQIA+ Community Choir
- Canberra SpringOUT Pride Festival
- PARSA Postgraduate Queer Space Facebook Group
Support Services for Indigenous Students
- Tjabal Indigenous Higher Education Centre: various support services including scholarships, academic support, connection with other Indigenous Students, direction to other support services as necessary
- Dr Stewart Sutherland, Chair Indigenous Health Framework: Medical School specific support for Indigenous Students and the Indigenous Health Stream
- Winnunga Nimmityjah Aboriginal Health and Community Services: various clinical and social services including GP, vaccinations, dental and support groups available for Indigenous Australians, often bulk billed.
- ANU Postgraduate and Research Students’ Association (PARSA) – financial support, advocacy, links to other support services.
- Australian Indigenous Doctor’s Association – support and information for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander doctors and medical students and information for all medical practitioners and students regarding cultural safety.
- Australian Government Indigenous information website
- Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies (AIATSIS)
- NSW Rural Doctors Network – information regarding practice in Rural Australia, including with Indigenous peoples.
Women's Support Services
- Canberra Rape Crisis Centre (CRCC) – non-governmental, Feminist organization working to eliminate sexual violence against women, young people, children, and men:
- CRCC Crisis Line (02 6247 2525) is available from 7 am-11 pm 7 days per week.
- Domestic Violence Crisis Service (DVCS) – Canberra specific 24/7 crisis intervention services to anyone who is experiencing, or has experienced, domestic and family violence:
- 24/7 Crisis Line: 02 6280 0900
- 1800RESPECT is 24/7 National sexual assault, family and domestic violence counselling line
- ANU Psychology Clinic – training, treatment and research centre offering specialised psychological services to the community. Available on 02 6125 8498.
- ANU Respectful Relationships Unit
- Anonymous (& Non-anonymous) Sexual Misconduct Disclosure Form
- Note, this form does not report sexual misconduct to the ANU, but serves to connect students who use it to support services & information about how to report misconduct. It can be completed anonymously or non-anonymously by someone who has experienced sexual misconduct, on behalf of an individual you are supporting, or if you have witnessed sexual misconduct.
- PARSA Student Assistance Team – No-charge professionally trained staff to assist you with academic matters and/or personal matters related to your status as an ANU student that directly impact your student experience. Available on 02 6125 2603.
- ReachOut – internet service for young people to provide information, support, resources about mental health issues.
- Toora Women Inc – not-for-profit organisation which has been delivering gender specific services to women in the ACT (assistance in finding housing, support for those experiencing domestic violence, addiction support, counselling)
- Women’s Legal Centre ACT – Women’s Legal Centre (ACT & Region) is a safe contact point for women. We provide legal assistance to women who would otherwise go without. 02 6257 4377 is the Advice & Intake Line.
- YWCA Canberra – feminist not-for-profit organisation providing community services and representing women’s issues in Canberra (including DV support services, housing support, children’s services, education & training)
- OneLink – provides information and connections for support services in the ACT.
- 1800 176 468, from 8 am to 6 pm, Monday to Friday.
- Women’s Health Service – offers free services for women by women, including: nursing, medical, nutrition and counselling services to vulnerable women in the ACT and region. Available on 02 5124 1787.
- ANU Women’s Department Facebook Group
- Medical Women’s Society (ACT) – Medical networking group aiming to support and further the professional development of our female colleagues, including medical students. We extend practical concern for women and children on a global scale. Membership is free for medical students.
- MentorWalks – Community of leading senior women who mentor, and mentees who are women at every stage of their career, who do regular, early morning walks in cities across Australia.
- CBR Gals – a feminist not-for-profit to connect & advance women in Canberra (1-2 monthly events)
- AskIzzy – Online service to help find a range of services (housing, food, domestic & family violence services, support & counselling, legal issues).
- Women with Disabilities ACT (WWDACT) – Disabled Person’s Organisation (DPO) that practices systemic advocacy on behalf of women, girls, feminine identifying, and non-binary people with disabilities in the ACT.
- ANU Gender Institute:
- ANU Global Institute for Women’s Leadership:
Meet Your Representatives
The team of representatives below advocate for your interests throughout the year, both formally on medical school committees and informally through other means. While they cannot directly provide support, they can lend an ear and point you towards support services that you might find helpful.
Indigenous Student Representative
Zhi Jia Yang
International Student Representative